GEM-Selektor v.3: Frequently Asked Questions
How can I export/copy the data from GEMS3 module window page
into an Excel worksheet?
- Right-click on the first cell of data array field and, in the
appearing menu, choose "Select Object", "Select Column", or "Select
Row". Then right-click again on the same cell and select "Copy". Switch
to Excel table, click on a cell and execute "Paste".
- You can also copy data from Excel to GEMS3 by doing a reverse:
first mark and copy numbers in Excel and then go to GEMS3, right-click
on the first cell of data object field, and select "Edit" "Paste" (or
"Paste transposed"). Take care that there are enough rows and columns
in the GEMS3 data object.
- After the calculation of single chemical equilibrium, GEMS3
asks to "Accept" or "Discard". What
does the program do when I press "Accept"? when I click "Discard"?
- Upon clicking "Accept" on the "Progress Dialog", GEMS3 will pack
the calculated chemical speciation and store it as a "SysEq" record in
the modelling project database. If a record with such key already
exists, it will be updated.
- If "Discard" is clicked, the SysEq record will not be created or
updated, i.e. the calculated speciation will be lost.
How can I change air composition in Compos (PCO) list, e.g. to higher
partial CO2 pressure?
- Switch to "Thermodynamic Database" mode, open "Predefined
Compositions (Compos)" window, display there a record for air, and
"clone" it under a different name (record key). Then change the
addition of C and O (or CO2). Set cells "MasVol[0,0] and MasVol[0,6] to
zeros, re-calculate the record and save it to database.
- Close the Compos window and open your process again.Click "Ok" on
the appearing message about new Compos entry. Now you can use in any of
your systems either of air compositions.
- After I have excluded an independent component (element) in a
single thermodynamic system, how can I switch it on again?
- Adding a new aqueous complex or a new phase to the thermodynamic
data fields I have to enter something and what? (e.g. what can I do if
only have log K?)
After entering a new record in the thermodynamic database in one
modeling project, how can I use this record in different projects? If I
more records, how can I create an additional database file?
- How can I upgrade
GEM-Selektor to the most recently released
- Shut down GEMS program; backup test \projects folders,
if you worked with them. We recommend also to backup the
- Download the latest GEMS3
package for your desktop PC platform into a temporary files directory.
- Execute the installer and select your existing GEMS
directory as an installation directory.The GEMS3
will overwrite or add test projects directories, but it will not touch
work projects directories.
- Restore your modified test projects directories, if any
- Start GEMS3 using the desktop icon or a "Start menu" entry.
- How can I learn
quickly to set up a system and calculate the equilibrium speciation
How can I
report a bug?
GEMS3 package and install it, as described on the distribution page.
Start GEMS3,and execute "Help" "Tutorial" menu command to open the Help
window with the Tutorial page. Do not close Help window and run the
code in parallel with reading the Tutorial.
us an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. There, describe the problem
briefly. Send us also (as an e-mail attachment) your (zipped) modeling
project directory with comments indicating which database records have
problems. In this case, your bug report
will have a good chance to appear soon in the List of corrections.
updated: 30. 04. 2013
Copyright (c) 2005-2013 GEMS Development Team.